These companies are commercial providers of archival products such as for example acid photo that is free and archival boxes for storing your papers.
People often seek suggestions about simple tips to look after cherished personal items, handed down through the family, that they hope to pass on in good shape to the next generation. This LibGuide provides some practical and simple approaches to take care of your records that are personal.
One choice is to donate them to a suitable archival repository, to ensure their long-term preservation and also to make sure they are offered to the wider community. The State Library always welcomes the opportunity to appraise records that are original the archival collections, when they connect with South Australians or South Australia, are of state significance and also have enduring research value.
The Coordinator Archival Collection Development can also discuss donating under the Cultural Gifts Program.
General proper care of your collections
- Acid-free containers
- Polypropylene sleeves
- Acid-free paper, tissues and cloth
- Soft pencils approved for writing captions on back of photos
- Sticky tape and glue
- Writing with a ballpoint pen
- Mounting items with glue onto masonite or cardboard
- Sticking post-it notes onto actual items while they may leave a residue that is sticky
- Traditional style plastic sleeves, which will cause documents and photographs to fade and discolour rapidly. They may also make removal of your item difficult, due to internal adhesion.
- Sunlight or bright light falling directly onto items
- Boxes on the floor (keep them above the floor on clean shelving)
- Extremes and rapid fluctuations of temperature and humidity
- Dust and pests (insects and vermin).
- Keeping records that are archival old sheds, or under leaky roofing, or perhaps in damp, dusty or dirty areas, or without fire protection.
- Using starch based packing that is loose to safeguard items from breakage (insects will be drawn to the starch and create pest management problems).
- Make notes about any components of historical interest, and keep these with the item, or perhaps in a safe place, so the info is not lost.
- Make lists associated with contents of boxes and have them in the front of each box. Label your boxes.
- Make a summary of who is to inherit which items and label all of them with see your face’s name.
- Consider making a bequest or a donation towards our fundraising campaigns or there are numerous alternative methods you can support us.
- Consider whether your archival records can be of interest to any or all South Australians.
If that’s the case, we suggest you speak to the Archival Field Officer regarding the intentions at the earliest opportunity, as the own knowledge about your personal records is invaluable.
What students are saying
As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway buy essays, I came across Course Hero, where i could find study resources for pretty much all my courses, get online assistance from tutors 24/7, and also share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes along with other students.
I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me come early july. It’s truly become something i can rely on and always assist me. When you look at the final end, I happened to be not only able to survive summer classes, but I was in a position to thrive compliment of Course Hero.
The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used materials that are UCLA’s help me move forward and acquire everything together on time.